Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Being a Regular at Smoothie King

I had another great workout at the gym today. I think I saw one of those guys that people warn you about... those lunks? larks? He was grunting, and I think he was gymtimidating people. Who do you alert when you see one of those guys? I'm not sure of the process...

After the gym, what I try to do is go to Smoothie King. I got a great vanilla smoothie today with bananas and almonds. So good. What I decided was, I think I want to turn into a regular at this Smoothie King.

I want to be one of those people that just pull up to the drive-thru and the attendants would just know my voice.

"Oh hello, Eric. Your usual today?"
"Nah, I think I want to mix things up and go with the angel food"
"Oh okay! Curveball!"

I would then go to the window, and we would swap really quick stories. I may share about a long bike or hiking trip I'm going on the next week, and say something like, "if you don't hear from me next week then something may have happened!" We would both share a laugh.

What is it about people that would want to be a regular like that? I have a deep desire to be known; To be known by people and for people to recognize me. And I don't just want to be recognized but to be known deeply, and for people to know my story. 

As a Christian, I have a worldview to where the answer to that question comes from God. God designed us to be in community and in relationship with other people. God is in a constant relationship (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). When He created us, He took into account our loneliness and said, "It is not good for man to be alone" (Genesis 2:18). 

Another great truth... we are known by Him! He can fulfill that deepest desire I have to be known. He is closer than my next breath. I get to be surrounded by a community of friends and family as a bonus. 

So I will continue to stop by Smoothie King, and try to build connections and relationships with others. One smoothie at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment