Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Skyscrapers

I love Cincinnati. Every time I see the beautiful skyline at night, when I'm coming home from a long trip I feel at peace. Over the river in Northern Kentucky, I can see the skyline from my kitchen window, and it almost looks mystical, like I'm looking at Oz or something.

The other weekend, I went downtown to a concert at our Fountain Square. I was like an hour and a half early, so I decided to take a walk around town. I decided to take the skywalk (public passage you can walk that connects to several buildings). While I was walking, in the midst of silence, I had some time to pause, pray, and reflect.


I remember when I was in High School, I really wanted to work in one of those skyscrapers. My career aspirations were as vague as my geometry class. I remember wanting to be a business man, and wanting to wear a suit everyday. I remember wanting my office to be in a skyscraper. I remember wanting to have a corner office, probably with my name etched on the door.

I was chasing an image, money and perhaps prestige. 

After graduating college, and working at a nonprofit, I realize now that my own definition of success has changed. Instead of chasing "stuff", which is always elusive, and always leaves you with wanting more, I want to chase after God, and people. I want to chase after love

Now I don't care about how much money I make. God will give me what I need to afford my living expenses. I would like to just pour out my compassion on people who need love the most; people who need to see light and hope. And that hope is Jesus! This makes me feel so much better, that I don't have to worry about making more money, or getting a job that sounds impressive, but that I can just run after God and love with all my heart.

Instead of chasing after more money, I want to chase after more love.

No comments:

Post a Comment